Original cover art for The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom #166, Jan. 21, 1977
It's a one-of-a-kind horror piece featuring Esau Cairn, Altha, the giant spider and the "dog-heads" from Robert E. It's a pen and brush drawing in India ink on special Craftint (Duo-tone) paper.
These chemical shading sheets were used in the past as an alternative to Zip-a-tone by artists such as Wallace Wood and Roy Crane. There are also portions of the piece where traditional adhesive-backed Zip-a-tone was used. Maheras also did the lettering for the novel excerpt. This piece has never been offered for sale online before, and if it does not sell, it may not be offered again - at least not in the near future.
- Character: Esau Cairn, Altha
- Country/Region of Manufacture: United States
- Theme: Comics
- Type: Cover
- Title: The Buyer's Guide for Comic Fandom
- Illustrator: Russ Maheras
- Universe: Robert E. Howard
- Signed: Yes
- Signed By: Russ Maheras
- Publisher: Dynapubs
- Year of Production: 1977
- Original/Licensed Reproduction: Original
- Era: Bronze Age (1970-83)